PetroStrat provides a full suite of integrated biostratigraphic services (micropalaeontology, nannopalaeontology and palynology) to the Oil & Gas industry. We are specialists in the provision of wellsite (real-time) biostratigraphic services (>2,500 man days per annum) and high resolution, quantitative reservoir scale studies (either single well or multi-well). We are one of the largest providers of wellsite palynological services in the world.
Truly global experience
- Unrivalled experience with 38 biostratigraphers (>470 man years).
- Core of PetroStrat’s biostratigraphers have >15 years’ experience in oil industry consulting (several ~30 years’ experience).
- All our biostratigraphers have a minimum M.Sc. in Micropalaeontology / Nannopalaeontology / Palynology and the large majority have 3+ years industry experience. Many have a specialist Ph.D.
- Well balanced staff portfolio. All newly qualified stratigraphers are entered into a full training program, with dedicated senior staff members.
- Our experience is global, but with an emphasis towards the Atlantic Margins – particularly NW Europe, North & West Africa, Latin America (including Venezuela, Brazil & Argentina), the Caribbean (including Trinidad), the Gulf of Mexico and the Canadian Atlantic Margin.
- Majority of scientific staff are fully certificated for offshore work, and are wellsite-experienced (many have conducted >50 wellsite assignments).
- Quantitative analyses utilising well documented counting techniques (repeatable).
- Rigorous taxonomic principles applied.
- Distribution data are delivered in StrataBugs™ format.
- Zonations schemes – a combination of published, global, local and in-house zonations are utilised (and where possible tied to the Gradstein et al. schemes (2004, 2008, 2012). The in-house scheme is readily related to the sequence chronostratigraphic frameworks of Haq et al. (1987), Berggren et al. (1995) or Hardenbol et al. (1998).
- Palaeoenvironmental interpretations using a number of statistical methods and integration of micropalaeontology and palynology.
- Calibration to absolute ages where possible (TSCreator ™).
- Correlations and interpretations are available in ODM™ format, allowing integration with corporate databases such as OpenWorks™.
- Hard copy and digital (Acrobat pdf) report formats supplied as standard.
High resolution regional chronostratigraphic frameworks are essential for
- More accurate age determination by allowing first order correlation to first order stages.
- Identification of breaks in sedimentation/unconformities and calibration to the sequence stratigraphy.
- Basinwide stratigraphic correlation.
- Review and re-evaluation of vintage biostratigraphic data.
- Resolution of the relationship between lithostratigraphic units.
- A firm basis for dating seismic surfaces essential for regional correlation.